- Do you want to prove to your customers that your products are sustainable?
- Are you ahead of your competitors in terms of sustainability?
- Are your construction products installed in a low energy or passive building?
- Do your customers expect an environmental declaration for your products?
An Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) is a declaration on product’s environmental impacts and is used for all products and services.
An EPD report tells the story of the product’s life cycle. The EPD provides information on product’s environmental impact, such as global warming potential, photochemical smog, ozone depletion and water pollution.
Steps to obtaining an EPD:
- step – Selection of PCR (Product Category Rules): Before developing an EPD, the appropriate PCR must be selected. The PCR used must be listed in the system and apply at the time of use. If PCR for the product category of interest does not exist, it can be developed.
- step – LCA analysis:An LCA allows us to compare how different products and technological processes affect the environment, and to assess progress. It provides us with the data for calculating the carbon footprint, and forms the basis for issuing an EPD. When developing an EPD, product’s environmental performance is described in terms of its life cycle, and carrying out a life-cycle assessment (LCA) is one of the main steps in this process.
- step – LCA ≥ EPD: LCA results and other information are compiled in the form of an EPD. This can be done by the organisation itself or with the help of a consultant. The international EPD system sets down requirements for the format of EPD reporting in terms of content, while some flexibility in design and layout is allowed as long as the EPD still includes the prescribed information.
- step – EPD verification and audit: The verification process is carried out by an approved individual verifier or accredited certification body with knowledge and experience on the product type, industry and relevant standards for the product covered by the EPD, and its geographical scope.
- step – Registration and publication: After completed verification, the organisation developing the EPD shall register the EPD in the EPD Portal together with other mandatory documentation.
Kakšne koristi prinaša EPD?
Obtaining an EPD certificate brings extensive benefits that you can leverage in your business:
- The certificate enables your partners to be more successful in competition and cooperation on projects that require sustainability certificates or ratings. These include Green Public Procurement and standards such as LEED, BREEAM, and DGNB.
- Obtaining an EPD certificate allows your customers to choose a green, sustainable product. This can help them better understand the environmental impact of the product, making it easier for them to choose among different providers.
- In addition, obtaining this certificate strengthens your commitment to sustainability. With this, you can appropriately communicate your commitment to the public and highlight your responsibility towards the environment.
- The EPD certificate also allows you to respond to calls for green public procurement, which can help you gain more business opportunities.
- Obtaining an EPD certificate allows you to implement a system of continuous improvements in the field of environmental management and environmental quality of products and services. This is crucial to ensure that your business remains sustainable and responsible in the long run.
- Checking whether PCR already exists for your product in the EU.
- Making an LCA for your product in accordance with the PCR.
- Completing the relevant questionnaire for obtaining the EPD.
- Assistance in choosing an approved provider to carry out the LCA verification and issue the EPD.
Are you ready to make a change and reduce your company's environmental impact?
We have the experience and expertise to help you achieve impact on all three pillars of sustainability.